COMMUNITY · May 26th, 2021
AAPI Heritage: Celebrating Culture, Supporting Community
In this particularly challenging year, a rise in anti-Asian sentiment and violence has called on each of us to ask how we can support our Asian caregivers and colleagues. Curated by members of NVA’s Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, these stories and resources offer ways you can learn, share, and take action today. Join us in exploring the content below and uplifting the diverse voices that make NVA stronger!
Supporting the Organizations:
Throughout the pandemic, we’ve seen a troubling surge of hate crimes against Asian Americans. Here are a few ways you can empower and support the AAPI community.
- DONATE: Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAJC) fights to advance the civil rights and equal protection of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders, and to build and promote a fair and equitable society for all.
- SUPPORT MENTAL HEALTH: National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association (NAAPIMHA) offers a database of service providers for mental health and behavioral health services for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders.
- TAKE ACTION: Anti-Asian hate incidents nearly doubled in March 2020. Powered by a coalition of nonprofits, the Stop AAPI Hate website makes it easy to report violence, harassment, and discrimination. Attend free Bystander Intervention training and learn more about strategies for intervention and how to prioritize safety while intervening.
Exploring a Rich History:
Explore the contributions of AAPI leaders, creators, and changemakers.
- TIME Magazine asked Asian historians to select historical milestones that every American should know. These 11 moments shine a light on some of the people and events that shaped American history. Read the article →
- The History Channel shared eight groundbreaking contributions that Asian American innovators have made throughout history. Read more about the vital roles AAPIs have played on The History Channel’s AAPI site.
- PBS’s “Asian Americans” documentary series provides an important perspective on history. The five-episode series chronicles the contributions and challenges of Asian Americans. Watch it here →
Celebrating a Diverse Culture:
Explore the rich history and voices of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders with the below materials.
- READING: Books are another accessible way to explore the different perspectives and experiences of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. These are Bustle’s 19 must-reads by AAPI authors.
- RECIPES: Celebrate and appreciate Asian culture by trying these authentic Asian cuisines. Good Housekeeping says this beginner’s guide will ease you into cooking meals like kimchi fried rice and ginger chicken.
- RHYTHM: Music can also amplify the voices of Asian American and Pacific Islander artists. Reflects on their trailblazing contributions to the AAPI community while listening to music and stories on Spotify’s AAPI Heritage Month site.
Learning Through Lived Experiences:
We asked NVA team members who identify as Asian or Pacific Islander to share their personal journeys so we may all learn through their experiences.
READ THEIR STORIES
- Dr. Nisha Mitra | Veterinarian at Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital in Thousand Oaks, CA
- Soo Hong | Chief People Officer, Support Center
- Christina Nguyen | Client Care Coordinator at Pampered Paws Animal Hospital in Oxford, MS
- Jonathan Mores | Senior General Manager at Doggie District Pet Resort in Las Vegas, NV
- Nazia Bhatti | Associate General Counsel, Support Center
- Dr. Yong Chang | Veterinarian at Pender Veterinary Centre in Fairfax, VA
- Setsuko Nobles | Lead Impatient Technician – Weekends at Flagler Animal Hospital in Flagler Beach, FL
- Kyle Inouye | Event Planning Manager, Support Center
- Guncha Singh | Financial Analyst Supervisor, Support Center
- Robby Rajan | NVA Compassion-First Director of Group Operations, Support Center